Free English Resources
Jardin Culturel suggestions
English resources for free online. Play games or download free audio lessons to your computer or mp3 player and start practicing English instantly.
April 3rd 2020
Due to the current situation with COVID-19 we are offering a limited selection of offers. We suggest visiting our remote learning page to find out more you can do from home!
The Jardin Culturel believes in language learning between teacher and student, face to face and for this reason we don’t offer an expensive “multimedia option” in our courses.
In our opinion the students who are forced to pay additional fees for “language learning through a software” are being forced to waste their money because there are already a lot of English resources already available! If you know of sites that we can add to this list, feel free to tell us. We want to offer our students the maximum possible!
Don't waste money on gimmicks
Many free resources exist to help practice grammar and fix notions in your head. But don’t believe expensive options that promise fluency in a few weeks. Lots of sites can help you grow independently but the best way to get better at talking face to face, is by learning face to face.
- Duolingo – duolingo.com
- Excellent site combing fun and structured lessons from the very basic vocabulary all the way up to past perfect and 3rd conditionals
- Lyrics Training – https://lyricstraining.com/
- Practise your aural comprehension by listening to songs in English, French, Spanish, German etc! Fun way to improve your listening skills.
- Connect with English – Web
- Featuring the story of Rebecca, an aspiring singer on a journey across America, Connect With English offers 50 fifteen-minute video programs that will teach English as a second language to high school students, college students and adult learners. Produced by WGBH Boston.
- The English We Speak – iTunes Free – Web Site
- Each week, the BBC looks at phrases used in the English language.
- American English Speech – Web
- The OLI American English Dialect course from Carnegie Mellon supplies the necessary reinforcement of dialectical structure, audio, production technique and phonetic representation for each sound.
- 6 Minute English – iTunes Free – Downloads – Web Site
- Learn and practice useful English with the BBC.
- Better @ English – iTunes Free – Feed
- Focuses on conversational English, with an emphasis on idioms and slang.
- Business English – iTunes Free
- Learn the English you will need to function effectively in an American business environment.
- Effortless English – iTunes Free – Feed
- It gets solid reviews.
- English as a Second Language – iTunes Free
- Free Lessons from HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College.
- English as a Second Language – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- A very well liked collection of ESL lessons. Over 100 episodes in the collection.
- English in the Real World – iTunes Free
- The focus here is on the business world and things financial.
- English for Spanish Speakers (’Por Fin Aprende Ingles’) – iTunes Free – Feed
- Si usted haya asistido al menos a un curso de ingles, y usted necesita la oportunidad de escuchar al ingles y hablar el ingles, entonces ‘Por Fin Aprende Ingles’ es el podcast perfecto para usted. Presentado por Carla Staufert-Sauvier, una profesora de Mexico, y Jade Lindquist, una profesora de los EE UU.
- ESL Business News – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- A weekly wrap of international business news read in slow, clear English. Listen to the broadcast and follow along in the accompanying script.
- Film English – Web
- Site promotes the innovative and creative use of film in language learning. All of the lesson plans revolve around the use of video and film to teach English. Recently won a British Council ELTons awards for Innovation in Teacher Resources.
- Grammar Girl – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Grammar Girl provides short, friendly tips to improve your writing. Whether English is your first language or your second language, these grammar, punctuation, style, and business tips will make you a better and more successful writer.
- Speaking English – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- 100+ lessons focusing on English pronunciation and vocabulary.
- Tu Ingles! – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- “Tu Ingles” is designed to help Spanish-speakers improve their ear for English. The weekly program features drills of verb conjugation, interviews, advice about idioms, and excerpts of speeches and other recorded spoken material from famous English speakers.
What Our Students Say
Being an English language teacher myself, I’m quite picky when it comes to language teachers/courses. However, I absolutely loved my group French courses with Pauline at Jardin Culturel. She is very dynamic in the classroom with a variety of interactive activities and clear explanations. I plan to take her class again.
During a brief 3-month stint in Toulouse I went from speaking roughly 10-20 words of French to now being level A2 and able to understand/converse on a few topics. The classes at Jardin Culturel are a really ideal small size and the teachers are brilliantly able to adapt to your pace and needs while staying within the course topics. There are also speaking classes weekly which act as a forum to practice with people of comparable ability. Evening classes also make it highly ideal for those who work Monday-Friday. Highly recommend Jardin Culturel and would certainly return there if I’m ever in that neck of the woods again.